[lbo-talk] inaugural dinner

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Dec 15 10:40:47 PST 2004

<http://swiftreport.blogs.com/news/2004/12/on_the_inaugura.html#more>

On the Inaugural Menu: A Dish to Please Every Donor

Diners attending any of three candlelight inaugural dinners will be treated to a menu best described as "donor's delight," a compilation of dishes intended to honor major Bush campaign fundraisers.

The chef's challenge: 4 courses and 12 brand names, representing millions in donations

By Deanna Swift

WASHINGTON, DC-Just call him the "Iron Chef" of the White House. Executive Chef Walter S. Scheib III is facing a major culinary challenge: how to create an inaugural menu that pays tribute to the brand names of a dozen top Bush campaign and GOP donors. From Coca Cola to Krispy Kreme doughnuts and Pilgrim's Pride turkeys, Scheib's dishes must satisfy the most powerful appetite on Capitol Hill these days: the taste for money.

"I've never had to create dishes that include soda, doughnuts and canned fruit before," says Scheib, who received his training at the Culinary Institute of America, and cooked at the Capitol Hilton in Washington and the Boca Raton Club before accepting the honor of "top toque" in the White House kitchens. But he says he's not worried. "I've already changed the way I cook and have given up all French recipes. This should be a snap," says Scheib, referring to the White House's ban on béchamel and beurre blanc after France refused to support the administration's decision to go to war in Iraq. (Click image, left, to view menu.)

[...]