[lbo-talk] Wanniski "comes correct"

Leigh Meyers leigh_m at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 15 20:38:00 PST 2004

A dignified correction...

Life in Baghdad These Days Dec 15 2004

Memo To: Website Fans, Browsers, Clients

From: Jude Wanniski

Re: A Report From Baghdad Betty

Those of you who have been getting these missives for some time will recall me posting memos about "Baghdad Betty," the nickname I gave to a 24-year-old Iraqi girl who lives in Baghdad. She has a "blogsite" called "Riverbend" where she writes what it`s like to be living in the midst of the chaos all around her.

In my last posting, May 8, I incorrectly stated that she had worked in one of Saddam`s ministries in information technology, which is how she acquired computer skills. She said she actually worked in a Baghdad computer shop and never worked for the government. Her blogs used to come almost daily, but there have been fewer in recent months with power shortages getting worse. I checked this week and found she was able to post on Sunday. This is not the kind of news you`ll get in our major media.

Sunday, December 12, 2004

Fuel Shortage... It has been a sad few weeks.

The situation seems to be deteriorating daily. To brief you on a few things: Electricity is lousy. Many areas are on the damned 2 hours by 4 hours schedule [...] http://wanniski.com/showarticle.asp?articleid=4043 ============