[lbo-talk] Question about appropriateness of a phrase

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Thu Dec 16 12:24:13 PST 2004

Hi,

Context matters. Since the phrase "forked tongue" became a stereotyped cliché of Hollywood Cowboy & Indian movies, it is probably best cast on the scrap heap of stereotyped idiom history, along with "paddy wagon" and "welshing on a bet." To utter the phrase to someone with an American Indian background is tacky at best (with or without the "a"), and most certainly insensitive. However many people have no clue why such phrases might offend, so I usually strike up a conversation about how old phrases should be inspected anew.

Chip Berlet