[lbo-talk] Christians from Hell

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Thu Dec 16 12:59:18 PST 2004

Hi,

Much of this discussion on LBO-Talk is snared in loose terminology.

Christian fundamentalism was a theologically reactionary Protestant populist backlash movement that became significant around 1920. From the beginning the leaders were overwhelmingly conservative politically. Voting habits of followers were more complicated. Fundamentalists are a hostile, doctrinaire, pious subset of evangelicals. So it is important to first make that distinction. The 2004 polling data refers to all evangelicals, not just fundamentalists. And then analysts break that down into White and Black, since Black evangelicals overwhelmingly vote Democratic (although there were some shifts toward Republican in 2004).

The current "Christian Right" was built in the late 1970s as an attempt by conservative political activists to lure evangelicals and fundamentalists into voting Republican using "traditional family values" issues like abortion, prayer in schools, porography, and homosexuality. But there have always been right-wing Christian groups and movements -- and left-wing as well.

The Christian Right mobilizes many Republican votes. But some mainstream Protestants and Catholics shifted toward the Republican Party in 2004.

There is no doubt that White evangelical Protestants are currently a major source of Republican votes. This has been documented up the kazoo by Green, Guth, et. al. -- but some White evangelical Protestants vote Democratic, and most don't vote at all, just like most Americans. The analytical issue is less theology or denomination than sense of piety linked to church attendance by White evangelicals. John C. Green writes about this.

See:

Evangelicals & voting: http://www.publiceye.org/magazine/v17n2/evangelical-demographics.html

2004 trends: http://www.publiceye.org/frontpage/election2004/statement.html

More: http://www.publiceye.org/frontpage/election2004/index.html

Black evangelical liberation Protestant: Empire Christianity vs Liberation Christianity by Ruby Sales, Founder and Director of SpiritHouse http://www.portside.org/showpost.php?postid=1075

Chip Berlet

p.s. the Subject line "Christians from Hell" is offensive and counterproductive.