[lbo-talk] liberals hate the truth

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Dec 17 13:41:28 PST 2004

The standard test for hard-to-detect bigotry is to ask yourself, "How would that sound if I replaced [X-ethnic, religious, social group] with 'the Jews'?" But William Donohue, the influential leader of the Catholic League, has short-circuited that test by getting right to the point. "'Hollywood is controlled by secular Jews who hate Christianity in general and Catholicism in particular,' [Donohue] explained in a colloquy on the subject recently convened by Pat Buchanan on MSNBC. 'It's not a secret, O.K.?' Mr. Donohue continued. 'And I'm not afraid to say it. That's why they hate [The Passion]. It's about Jesus Christ, and it's about truth." After the show's token (and conservative) Jewish panelist, Rabbi Shmuley Boteach, pointed out that 'Michael Moore is certainly not a Jew' and that Scorsese, Coppola and Lucas are not 'Jewish names,' Mr. Donohue responded: 'I like Harvey Weinstein. How's that? Harvey Weinstein is my friend.'" Well, as the junior Klan wannabes I grew up with used to say, That's mighty white of you, Bill. (Lest The Revealer be denounced as blind to other bigotries, it's worth noting that Frank Rich, author of the NYT piece in which this was quoted, continues to misunderstand The Passion and the reasons for its popularity.)

From Carl's Favorite Asshat:

2004: The Year of 'The Passion'

By FRANK RICH

WILL it be the Jews' fault if "The Passion of the Christ," ignored by the Golden Globes this week, comes up empty in the Oscar nominations next month? Why, of course.

"Hollywood is controlled by secular Jews who hate Christianity in general and Catholicism in particular," William Donohue, president of the Catholic League, explained in a colloquy on the subject recently convened by Pat Buchanan on MSNBC. "It's not a secret, O.K.?" Mr. Donohue continued. "And I'm not afraid to say it. That's why they hate this movie. It's about Jesus Christ, and it's about truth." After the show's token (and conservative) Jewish panelist, Rabbi Shmuley Boteach, pointed out that "Michael Moore is certainly not a Jew" and that Scorsese, Coppola and Lucas are not "Jewish names," Mr. Donohue responded: "I like Harvey Weinstein. How's that? Harvey Weinstein is my friend."

How's that? Not quite good enough. Surely Mr. Donohue knows that decorum in these situations requires that he cite a Jew as one of his "best friends," not merely a friend. For shame.

As we close the books on 2004, and not a moment too soon, it's clear that, as far as the culture goes, this year belonged to Mel Gibson's mammoth hit. Its prurient and interminable wallow in the Crucifixion, to the point where Jesus' actual teachings become mere passing footnotes to the sumptuously depicted mutilation of his flesh, is as representative of our time as "Godspell" was of terminal-stage hippiedom 30 years ago. The Gibson conflation of religion with violence reflects the universal order of the day ­ whether the verbal fisticuffs of the culture war within America, as exemplified by Mr. Donohue's rant on national television or, far more lethally, the savagery of the actual war that radical Islam brought to our doorstep on 9/11.

"The Passion" is a one-size-fits-all touchstone, it seems. It didn't just excite and anger a lot of moviegoers in our own country but also broke box-office records abroad, including in the Middle East. Most Arab governments censor films that depict prophets (Jesus included), even banning recent benign Hollywood products like the Jim Carrey vehicle "Bruce Almighty" and the animated musical "Prince of Egypt." But an exception was made for Mr. Gibson's blood fest nearly everywhere. It was seen in Egypt, Syria and Jordan. Among the satisfied customers last spring was Yasser Arafat, who called the film "moving and historical" ­ a thumb's up that has not, to my knowledge, yet surfaced in the film's low-key Oscar campaign.

Arafat's animus was clear enough; an aide said at the time that he likened Jesus' suffering, as depicted in "The Passion," to that of the Palestinians at the hands of Israel. Our domestic culture war over religion is not so easily explained.

You'd think peace might reign in a nation where there is so much unanimity of faith. In Newsweek's "Birth of Jesus" holiday cover article ­ not to be confused with Time's competing "Secrets of the Nativity" cover ­ a poll found that 84 percent of American adults call themselves Christian, 82 percent see Jesus as the son of God, and 79 percent believe in the Virgin Birth. Though by a far slimmer margin, the presidential election reinstalled a chief executive who ostentatiously invokes a Christian Almighty. As for "The Passion of the Christ," it achieved the monetary landslide of a $370 million domestic gross (second only to the cartoon saviors Shrek and Spider-Man).

Yet if you watch the news and listen to certain politicians, especially since Election Day, you'll hear an ever-growing drumbeat that Christianity is under siege in America. Like Mr. Gibson, the international movie star who portrayed himself as a powerless martyr to a shadowy anti- Christian conspiracy in the run-up to the release of "The Passion," his fellow travelers on the right detect a sinister plot ­ of secularists, "secular Jews" and "elites" ­ out to destroy the religion followed by more than four out of every five Americans.

<snipp-a-roo!>

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/19/arts/19rich.html?adxnnl=0&8hpib=&oref=login&adxnnlx=1103180511-QTRD9UGrlmqMuGK7qnurSA&pagewanted=print&position=

"We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling