[lbo-talk] The Argument from Design and Polytheism (Was: The "A"lives, apparently

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 17 14:36:16 PST 2004

It's a bit peculiar to critique (as Hook does here) the presumed motives for holding a particular view rather than the reasons actually advanced for holding that view.

(Some) theists find it anomalous to ask about the existence of individual events or things or whole classes of things and yet refuse to ask that question about the universe as a whole. The belief that such a question is unaskable is based, firstly, on the fact that even theists have no answer to it, and secondly, on the fact that the language in which it is asked is exploratory -- it uses words in ways that are stretched beyond their familiar use (as in science). To assert the existence of God is not to state a fact within an established intellectual system but to claim the need for exploration; it is to claim that there is an unanswered question about the universe: viz., "Why is there anything instead of nothing?"

Theists in the Abrahamic traditions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam) take a further step. Each of the traditions asserts that that unknown God has spoken. (They differ, though not completely, on how.) Christians only know of God speaking because the church -- the Christian movement -- hears and responds. They admit that it's not a matter of deduction but of faith -- rather like trusting someone (since we can rarely prove deductively that someone is trustworthy). If you think that you do not hear, you will evidently have no good reason for talking of God's word, although of course you may or may not be a theist in the first sense.

--CGE (in part quoting H. McCabe)

PS--Regarding Hook's invocation of Feuerbach, there's an interesting discussion (unfortunately apparently not on the web) by philosopher (and Christian) Alasdair MacIntyre. "MacIntyre is interested in how Marx theorises the need to 'transcend the standpoint of civil society' and [argues that] Marx himself failed to carry through his own project. In MacIntyre's view the Theses on Feuerbach mark the point where Marx turned from philosophy to politics, having stated a set of crucial problems in social philosophy better than anyone before him, but failing to find adequate philosophical solutions" (C. Brooke). MacIntyre, Alasdair, "The Theses on Feuerbach: A Road Not Taken," in Knight, Kelvin (ed.), The MacIntyre Reader (Polity, 1998).