Comments on Aquinas (was '[lbo-talk] The "A" lives, apparently' and '[lbo-talk] The Argument from Design and Polytheism)'

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 17 15:32:37 PST 2004

Aquinas' famous "five ways" (from the beginning of his beginner's book on theology) are sketches for five arguments to show that a certain kind of question about the universe is valid: Why is there anything instead of nothing? This is a question, in Aquinas' jargon, about the *esse* of things -- their being over against nothing, not just their being over against some alternative or over against potentiality. Aquinas wishes to say two things: (1) that here we have a valid question, and (2) that we don't know how to answer it; or (1) God exists, and (2) God is an incomprehensible mystery.

This is, if you like, a "negative theology." The next sentence but one after the five ways (Summa theologiae 1.2.3) begins, "Because we cannot know what God is but only what God is not..." Aquinas thinks that we do not and cannot in this life know the answer to the question, Why is there anything instead of nothing? -- but we label it "God." To say that we have a valid question (one with an answer) is to say that God exists; for what we mean by "God" is just whatever answers the question. Apart from knowing this, says Aquinas most insistently, all we can do is point, as systematically as we can, to several kinds or categories of things that the answer could not be -- e.g., whatever would answer the question could not itself be subject to the question, otherwise we are left as we were, with the same question still to answer.

--CGE (still quoting H. McCabe)