[lbo-talk] Rumsfeld: swords are drawn, but why?

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 17 17:19:58 PST 2004

Apparently, it's now fashionable for even the most sinister of characters to denounce Donald Rumsfeld, a man who, only moments ago it seemed, was hailed as the greatest managerial genius since, well, the last one.

While driving home, I listed to National Public Radio interviews with William Kristol and a sound bite of Trent Lott - both going on at some length about the many failures of Secretary Rumsfeld.

If you point your browser here --

<http://news.google.com/news?q=rumsfeld&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official_s&sa=N&tab=nn&oi=newsr

you'll be able to read article after article - suddenly appearing like flashes of lightning - discussing the knives drawn against Rumsfeld.

To me, all of this recent dagger tossing is odd and difficult to pin down. Nothing's new about Rumsfeld's failures - even from an imperialist point of view he's a mess - so why now? Why this listing of stuff everyone (or at least, everyone who's paying attention) must have known for many months? And why so many attacks from Legion of Doom members like Lott and Kristol?

Or, to put it another way, why's he suddenly appearing so vulnerable that he's even receiving fire from parts of his own political base?

.d.