[lbo-talk] The Argument from Design and Polytheism (Was: The "A"lives, apparently

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 18 08:58:12 PST 2004

What does this have to do with solipsism? Solipsism is the position that nothing exists besides my mind. What I am talking about is nothing, period, existing.

--- The argument has you put it, seemed to be that because I cannot conceive of a universe that does not exist, therefore a universe must exist. The reason for that. I thought, was that something must exist for it to be conceived of at all, that is, conception is always of something. So you were reducing the possibility of nothingness to our ability to conceive nothingness, since we can't conceive of nothingness, nothingness is impossible. OK, not solipsism, but idealism in any rate. (Sorry if this is muddled; I'm typing quick because I'm hurrying off to go to a party). Similarly, I can't conceive of my own nothingness, but that does not mean that I immortal.

----

Put it this way. I think that the question "why does anything exist, rather than nothing?" presupposes that there are two possible cases: Case A, in which something exists, and Case B, in which nothing exists. I am proposing that Case B doesn't make sense, because it essentially says that "reality is such that there is nothing."

--- No, there wouldn't be reality in that case to predicate nothing of.

Look at it this way -- is it logically impossible that tomorrow everything would stop existing? No.

Off to go get drunk and socialize!

===== Nu, zayats, pogodi!