[lbo-talk] meanwhile, the US working class......

alex lantsberg wideye at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 18 14:51:01 PST 2004

while true, one can't tell how she will manage this service or treat her employees. the reason i bring this up is that here in SF one of the biggest boosters for living wage and a local minimum wage has in fact been a temp agency owner (he put up money for signature gathering and a UC berkeley report on the economics of an SF min wage). now he's talking to CA labor about doing a statewide initiative if arnie vetoes legislation again this year. this guy has run his own agency for years now and started it in response to getting ripped off on his labor when he was first starting out years ago. now he provides his employees with a much higher share of the fee charged to his customers than the corporate outfits, pays a chunk of their health insurance premium, and offers paid vacations.

this may be an extraordinary example, but it does exist.

alex