[lbo-talk] meanwhile, the US working class......

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Sat Dec 18 15:31:55 PST 2004

At 2:54 PM -0600 18/12/04, John Thornton wrote:

>>But the 33-year-old and her husband aren't even close to making it. "Why
>>don't we own our home?" she wants to know. "Why don't we have money in the
>>bank? Why are we just making ends meet?"
>[...]

>In spite of all this Cobbs goal is own her own Temp Service so she
>can help hundreds of people have an even more marginal existence
>than hers while she profits from it? This is warped. She wants to
>make a $350 a month car payment and pay $400 for health-insurance
>and she aspires to pay someone maybe $800 to $1000 a month while
>hiring them out to a company for maybe one and a half times that and
>pocket the difference. Something is seriously wrong with this
>aspiration in my view. Am I being harsh on her? I don't think so.

What strikes me as seriously wrong is the notion that someone who can't even manage a household on $60K, believes she is qualified to manage a business. She asks "Why don't we have money in the bank? Why are we just making ends meet?" Well, if you haven't managed to answer those question dear, I would say your chances of successfully managing the more complex finances of a business are pretty remote.

Unfortunately, almost anyone is entitled to start their own business, even if they are doomed to failure. Its bad enough the harm they do to themselves, but of course its likely that this sort of person will take down dozens of other poor suckers with her, including employees, suppliers and contractors.

I've seen it happen a lot over the years. These poor suckers come into a bit of money, their redundancy payout or the like, then rush into a business. Without a clue what they are doing. Or they get someone else to finance them. For some reason people seem to think that buying your own business is a licence to make money, there's no need to have any of the skills, profit is just automatic.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas