[lbo-talk] The end of warfare?

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Tue Dec 21 08:27:22 PST 2004

Isn't analysis of objectives the only proper basis for making good sense of wars? If so, then why talk like Vietnam was a loss for the U.S.? Sure, the elites would have loved to crush the country and wound up with ticker tape parades, but it was the crushing of the country that was the more important of the two aims, by far.

Similar point about Iraq. The main strategic objective is to perpetuate irrational, undemocratic, fractious cultural politics in Oilsville. Sure, the U.S. would love to end up with ticker tape parades and a compliant and stable puppet regime, but it's the stirring of the pot that's the more important objective.

End of warfare, my butt!