[lbo-talk] meanwhile, the US working class......

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Tue Dec 21 09:01:12 PST 2004

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>Many years ago a friend talked me into attending an Amway seminar - the
>impression I got from it was that it was a way of converting your social
>capital into cash. You use your social networks to peddle overpriced
>commodity, first yourself and then have your friends hawking them for you.

Yes, yes, yes. That nails it. But then you go all pear shaped on the cognitive shit. The diff between US and Europe I think hinges on the value of the social capital question. In the U.S. making use of your friends does not feel unusual because many people ONLY have relationships as a means to something else. The social capital exists, but it's mighty thin. This happens in other cultures too -- but in other cultures, for a lot of people, there is something "sacred" about friendships and betraying or using a friend is just about the worst thing in the world to do.

Also, U.S.ers don't "climb" because they like hierarchies; they actually don't much like hierarchies at all. They climb because they are restless, starved souls and it gives them something to do and be.

Joanna