[lbo-talk] The end of warfare?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Tue Dec 21 10:50:43 PST 2004

In Vietnam, the US sought to demonstrate that Third World countries (particularly in the "Grand Area") were not to be permitted to pursue independent development -- not coordinated with world-wide US economic hegemony -- under the direction of a local government. Without achieving its maximum war aims, it did of course succeed, in part via economic strangulation after 1976, at the cost of millinons of deaths.

In Iraq -- much more important to the US than Vietnam -- the US continued to pursue its major geopolitical goal: control of Mideast oil as a choke-hold on its principal economic rivals, the EU and northeast Asia. The Bush II wars sought to establish permanent military bases in the midst of the oil-producing region, a goal in which it seems the US will succeed, even though the occupation has been wretchedly conducted and the the US reduced to a "Fort Apache" approach. There were subsidiary goals, notably once again a demonstration of what to the US was prepared to do -- "pre-emptive war.")

The "Vietnam syndrome" was primarily the revulsion of the US populace at what had been done in their name in Vietnam. Almost three-quarters of Americans came to believe that the war in Iraq was not a mistake, but a crime, an immoral use of military force by the US. That opinion was what successive administrations strove to overcome. (Apologists for Israel predictably labeled as "anti-Semitism" a perceived reluctance by Americans to exercise military force abroad; the Neocon venture was particularly concerned about that.) --CGE