[lbo-talk] Insularity ( Was pale male : question to newyorkers...)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Dec 21 11:26:15 PST 2004

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

>it is one of the
>heartbreaks of my life thahn even at my inflated
>salary I cannot afford to live in NYC. Specifically in
>Manhattan. It's kids that are the killer.

It's expensive, but not *that* expensive. The median HH income in my zip code (10024) is $98,541. (I'm here thanks to a rent stabilized apartment I've been in since 1979; I doubt I could afford to move in today.) There are good neighborhoods in Brooklyn with median incomes below yours in Evanston ($50k-ish vs. $63,994 - even Brooklyn Hts is $67,770).

Doug