[lbo-talk] Insularity ( Was pale male : question to newyorkers...)

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Tue Dec 21 11:28:17 PST 2004

joanna bujes wrote:
> ravi wrote:
>
>> perhaps it helps that i agree that no place on earth is better than
>> NYC ;-) (though there are places as good: london, various parts of
>> utah...)
>
> UTAH??? UTAH?? Where in Utah? It's the most beautiful state in the
> U.S......but as for social temperature????
>
> Do tell...

my bad... i was getting beyond the people and referring to the place (which i would agree is in the top 5 in the US -- nods to HI, CA, etc).

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> My wife, who is from PA, believes that Philadelphians, and especially
> the Eagles fans, are one of the most arrogant people in the US, just
> a notch above New Jersey.

above NJ? what can be above NJ? when i say NYC is a great place, i am obviously referring to the fact that NYC is part of NJ (unless someone has noticed greater cohesion between NYC and upstate NY) ;-).

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> Or running into some NYers on the corner just
> chatting, we confessed we were from Ohio (which we
> were at the time.) "Oh, you have a farm? With cows and
> everything?"

my friend was on the [i think] B train a few months ago, and heard a couple of kids talking: "what did you do last weekend?". "oh, my parents took us to upstate new york". "yeah? what's there?". "trees and shit...".

precise and succinct ;-).

> Or Tom Wolfe's crack in Bonfire that one of the
> characters "went to a law school in Ohio with three
> names." Like my alma, Ohio State University College
> of Law.

good god man! you have been through more colleges than even me!

--ravi

disclaimer: i love trees! ;-)