[lbo-talk] Hobsbawm Interview: 'History Is No Longer Necessary'

s-t-t at juno.com s-t-t at juno.com
Tue Dec 21 20:19:45 PST 2004

Eric Hobsbawm said:
> The second crisis is the most profound and it
> is arising out of globalisation. Globalisation
> is weakening the territorial nation state,
> the essential framework within which the
> public life of citizens is lived. For various
> reasons, of which globalisation is only one,
> this particular form of the state is in trouble.
> Globalisation and free market capitalism are
> limiting the capacity of the state to act.

So, Hobsbawm accepts the claim that the nation-states are wilting under "globalization." Has he argued this point out further anywhere? My initial reacion is much the same as Wojtek's on this one.

There seems to be more substance in Hobsbawm's point about the proliferation of small arms, but that's not "globalization," is it??

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ Juno Gift Certificates Give the gift of Internet access this holiday season. http://www.juno.com/give