[lbo-talk] Insularity (was pale male: question to newyorkers...)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 22 10:23:59 PST 2004

I like Detroit. I lived in not-too-far-Ann Arbor for most of the 1980s and worked in Detroit for two summers in the mid-90s while in law school. Of course a lot of Detroit looks like a war zone. Burned out abandoned houses, whole blocks where prostitution and drugs are the only industries. But it has a good cultural life, excellent jazz scene and reasonable popular music and an OK symphony. They opened an Opera House after I left. The DIA is not a great museum but it is a good one, and has some unique Diego Rivera murals. Theater is so-so, some goodd small compnaies, nothing major. It's not an Out Of Town venue for NYC. If you can send you kids to private school you can afford a mansion in Indian Village, for example, formerly owned by an auto exec. Detroit is pretty multicultural, lots of Mexican, Greek, Russian, and of African-American culture. AT the same time the schools are a duisaster and the city as corrupt as Chicago.