[lbo-talk] Re: plgarism watch

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Wed Dec 22 15:14:48 PST 2004

Dear List:

Justin writes:

> The question is: who's the "owner" and what's
involved in "creating something by one's labor."

Terrance is writing a play for the Fringe Festival 2005. His labor goes into thinking, writing, rewriting and working on the script. Isn't that "creating something by one's labor."

On the other hand, I am writing a paper which wil be my first published in a peer-reviewed journal (I know -- so academic and me a simple plebian).

My labor will be in searching out, watching the films and also reading other articles on and interviews with the filmmaker. What is interesting to me is how do you deal with the fact that I can come to the same conclusion as someone else after we have seen the films and read the interviews? If I come to the same opinion as someone else, am I plagarizing the other person if, when I publish my opinion, it happens to be the same as hers? For instance, aren't there a finite number of ways to look at Hitchcock's depiction of women in his movies?

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister