[lbo-talk] Why Progressives Must NOT Embrace the Ukrainian "Pro-Democracy" Movement

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Dec 22 19:41:18 PST 2004

>Why Progressives Must Embrace the Ukrainian Pro-Democracy Movement
>By Stephen Zunes
>
>Some elements of the American left have committed a grievous error,
>both morally and strategically, in their failure to enthusiastically
>support the momentous pro-democracy movement in the Ukraine.
<snip>
>U.S. financial support-which has flowed primarily through reputable
>nongovernmental organizations-pales in comparison to support from
>Western European democracies. Most U.S. financial backing for the
>democratic Ukrainian opposition has come through private
>foundations, including those funded by billionaire George Soros, the
>Hungarian exile who also donated millions of dollars to the
>unsuccessful effort to defeat George W. Bush.
<snip>
>American progressives need to be emphasizing that _this_ is how
>regime change ought to take place: not by foreign conquest but by
>the subjugated peoples themselves; not by bombs and bullets but by
>the far-greater power of nonviolence. We should be pleased that the
>Bush administration is actually embracing, albeit for suspect
>reasons, an authentic, grassroots democratic movement against an
>authoritarian regime. Instead of questioning U.S. support for
>Ukrainian democrats, progressives must seize this opportunity to
>emphasize the need for the United States to champion nonviolent
>democratic movements everywhere and to end U.S. backing for
>autocratic regimes and occupation armies that suppress such
>movements.
><http://www.fpif.org/papers/ukraine2004.html>

On the contrary, too many liberals, especially in Ohio, embraced Washington's subversion in Ukraine (or at least its symbolic color Orange) too quickly and unthinkingly (cf. <http://montages.blogspot.com/2004/12/code-orange.html>).

It is not moral (nor is it probably legal, though I don't know Ukrainian election laws) to spend tens of millions of dollars on foreign elections to determine their heads of state. Richer nations shouldn't be allowed to shape poorer nations' politics through their unlimited spending, especially since poorer nations cannot do the same to richer nations, so interference is a one-way street.

Washington is said to have spent $14 million on "regime change" in Ukraine, and its "civil society" fronts such as the Democratic party's National Democratic Institute, the Republican party's International Republican Institute, Freedom House, the Open Society Institute, etc. have all been active. Freedom House and the Democratic party's NDI did the exit polls, which gave Yushchenko an 11-point lead. I suspect an exit poll fraud.

Even if Yushchenko had not been supported by US imperialists at all, we still shouldn't support the man, who is hated by Ukrainian industrial workers:

Last Updated: Friday, 3 December, 2004, 20:34 GMT Ukraine's loyal industrial heart By Stephen Mulvey BBC News, in Donetsk

In his two years as prime minister, Mr Yanukovych is credited with sending state funds to get Donetsk's coal mines working again, and raising wages and pensions, in particular for those who worked underground.

During Mr Yushchenko's premiership, by contrast, power stations often did not pay for the coal they had received, and miners went unpaid for months at a time.

He is blamed for closing mines left, right and centre, though it was also the Yanukovych government's policy to close the worst mines and concentrate subsidies where they would bring the best results.

At Friday's meeting in the main square, speaker after speaker expressed resentment at being treated by the demonstrators in Kiev as if their votes did not count.

At least two accused the orange-clad protesters of leading the country towards civil war.

Donetsk, however, does not give the impression of preparing to fight a war. Ukraine's industrial working class is angry, but not yet aggressive.

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4067267.stm> -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * "Proud of Britain": <http://www.proudofbritain.net/ > and <http://www.proud-of-britain.org.uk/>