[lbo-talk] plagarism watch

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Thu Dec 23 10:41:50 PST 2004

Carrol Cox cbcox

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> --- Brian Charles Dauth <magcomm at ix.netcom.com
> wrote:
>
> > Dear List:
> >
> > Justin writes:
> >
> > > But there are a bunch of problems. He's not doing
> > it alone.
> >
> > Well, I haven't seen anyone else in our apartment
> > typing
> > with him. LOL.
>
> No man ids an island. You're helping feed him, do the
> housework, making it possible for him to write. Somone
> provided hgim with paper and pencils or a computer and
> printer.

Plutarch & North, plus all the people who kept Greek 'alive' in western europe (and those, the Arabs and the Byzantine 'Romans', who had preserved it and passed it on to western europe, plus all those who kept those scholars & merchants in food and clothing), as well as the thousands of men and a few women whose conversation over the centuries created the image of Cleopatra, plus millions of others were as much "authors" of _Antony and Cleopatra_ as was Shakespeare!

Ian recently referred to a work on "self-ownership" with which I am unfamiliar, but I can see innumerable ways in which one cannot really claim "self-ownership" as a basis for Locke's theory of property. Only partly and incompletely am I at all making myself; the ideas and attitudes and emotions and physical dynamics which constitute me or which I enact incorporate millions.

Carrol Carrol

^^^^^^^

CB: And thus ( a valid use of "thus"), the fundamental contradiction of capitalism is the social nature of production and the private nature of appropriation.