[lbo-talk] Re: plagarism watch

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Thu Dec 23 11:11:58 PST 2004

Let me ask you then: Because nobody is an isolated individual, does that mean individual labor doesn't and shouldn't count? If not, what is your theory of capitalist exploitation? What do capitalists do that's unfair?

More generally, do you contend that the answer to capitalist hyper-individualism is to snuff out all consideration of individuals? Pretty weird position for a psychologist... Does "capitalist hyper-individualism" (which I suspect to be mostly an ideological packaging of collectivist automatism) exhaust the universe of all possible individualism? If so, why bother with anything like politics?

And saying that people should get paid for making useful items is not the essence of capitalist ideology. The essence of capitalist ideology is the claim that capitalists are just workers like everybody else, that their incomes are simply a consequence of their labor. The getting paid for what you make thing is just the cover story for that essence. And it works because people immediately recognize that it's an important aspect of ethics in a modern industrial world.