[lbo-talk] Why Progressives Must Embrace the Ukrainian Pro-Democracy Movement By Stephen Zunes

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 25 09:30:25 PST 2004

I wrote:

> That sounds right. Ukrainian nationalist -- all
> Ukraine's problems are the fault of Russians and
> Jews.
> But probably hyped up by Yanukovich's propaganda,
> which portrays Yushch. as a fascist. E.g. in E.
> Ukraine, Yushch,' party Nasha Ukraina is referred to
> as "nashist," a play on "nash" (our) and fashist
> ((fascist).

BTW, here's one pro-Yushchenko nationalist website. See what I mean? (Though to be fair this website is in English and has no Ukrainian version, being apparently put out by an emigree Ukrainian nationalist in Canada -- as Woj and Joanna have pointed out, EE emigrees tend to be superrightwing.)

Jewish Conquest of the Slavs

The Shapoval volume. The analyses that I present below are based on information in the following book written in Ukrainian, with some of its documentation presented in Russian:

Yuri Shapoval, Volodymyr Prystaiko, and Vadym Zolotariov, Cheka-GPU-NKVD in Ukraine: People, Facts, Documents, Abris, Kyiv, 1997.

For the sake of brevity, I will refer to the above book as "the Shapoval volume."

Sponsorship. It is possibly highly significant that this book was sponsored by the following:

National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine M. S. Hrushevsky Institute of Ukrainian Archaeography and Fontology Security Service of Ukraine

The SBU. The Security Service of Ukraine mentioned above is none other than the Sluzhba Bezpeky Ukrainy (SBU), the Ukrainian successor to the Soviet KGB. Without the cooperation of the SBU and the opening to the authors of the SBU archives, the above book could not have been written. The contribution of the SBU toward the writing of an accurate history of Ukraine speaks well of its intentions and gives promise that it has broken with the past and is in no way a successor to the Cheka-GPU-NKVD.

My work is based on 183 Shapoval biographies. Of relevance here is that on pp. 429-581, the authors present biographical outlines of 183 leading officials of the Cheka, the GPU, and the NKVD in Ukraine. In 160 of these outlines, the nationality of the official is mentioned. My contribution to this large and excellent work was to go through these biographical outlines and compile a few descriptive statistics.

Nationalities in the Cheka-GPU-NKVD. One may summarize my chief finding with this succinct approximation:

Out of every 10 senior members of the Cheka-GPU-NKVD in Ukraine: 6 were Jewish, 2 were Russian, 1 was Ukrainian, and 1 was other.

http://www.ukar.org/shapov01.html

===== Nu, zayats, pogodi!