[lbo-talk] Chrismukkah & Jewsmas (already thinking about post-Xmas sales)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Dec 25 09:31:07 PST 2004

>If you emphasize their exchange value, then yes, giving money makes
>more sense than giving often useless stuff. But if you emphasize the
>emotional/sentimental value of gifts, they at not as much as
>exchange of values, but hierophanic statements (i.e. expressions of
>meaning embodied in a physically manifest form). From that point of
>view, a perfect gift should say something meaningful about the giver
>and his/her relationship to the recipient, and as such requires some
>pro-active thinking and understanding the person that receives the
>gift.
>
>That is the idea behind "Western," as you call, it gift giving - or
>least it was before it was hijacked by marketers and turned into its
>anti-thesis: mindless commercial consumption frenzy.
>
>Wojtek

<blockquot>[A] great misfortune was to befall Chanukah. It fell near the Christian holiday of Christmas, and so when well-meaning Christians wanted to say something besides "Merry Christmas" to their Jewish friends, they grasped for the nearest holiday and said "Happy Chanukah". Jewish children saw the presents their Christian friends received and asked why they didn't get any, and so well-meaning Jewish parents started to give Chanukah presents. And slowly Chanukah began to dissolve and degrade into little more than a Jewish version of Christmas.

But we know that Chanukah is not the Jewish Christmas! No, we must reclaim Chanukah for what it is: a celebration of freedom, faith and miracles from G-d. And to do that, we create a new holiday, the Jewish Christmas. From this time forward, each year on the first Saturday after Christmas, Jews and Christians shall gather together and celebrate Jewsmas.

On Jewsmas, we decorate a house plant with colored lights, we eat fondue, and we play dreidel drinking games. On Jewsmas, we take gifts from beneath the decorated plant and give them to our Jewish and Christian friends alike. On Jewsmas, we drink Manischevitz wine with soda water. On Jewsmas, we celebrate the knowledge that Chanukah is not the goddamn Jewish Christmas, so leave it the hell alone!

<http://www.jewsmas.org/story.html></blockquote>

Cf. <http://www.chrismukkah.com/> -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>