[lbo-talk] Re: Reconstruction forges ahead!

John Bizwas bizwas at lycos.com
Sun Dec 26 01:49:34 PST 2004

>>Also: mainstream is most certainly not right wing. Our "mainstream" may be pretty far right by non-U.S. standards, but our right wing is really really right wing. Conservatives here think that the NYT and
CBS are communist, and I'm not exaggerating. I once talked with someone who taught at a college in Savannah, Georgia, and required that the class read the NYT every day. They complained because it was so left wing. Doug>>

Excuse me for saying this, but this is confusing. First you claim that the US mainstream is not right wing (though pretty far right by non-US standards). Then you go on to give the NYT as an example of the mainstream. Fair enough, its circulation is smaller than the WSJ by about the population of Fallujah, but I recognize its articles as more influential on the rest of the media. However, then you go on to say that many--perhaps even a majority--of Americans reject it as 'left wing'. I would guess, more likely, that they reject the NYT for its somewhat limited 'diversity of opinion'. However, what does that say about where the 'mainstream' of the US actually is? Right of the NYT? But look at the NYT on an important issue like the invasion of Iraq. I seem to remember them giving us a heavy dose of zio-liberals such as Kenneth Pollack (CIA analyst, Brookings zionist, think tank dweeb, and all-around ugly talking head on places like CNN) saying that it was NOW OR NEVER time to make war. So, some difference of opinion, and that's some sort of mainstream even if we include the NYT, but I really don't know how to characterize the liberal corner of it, other than wishy-washy and misinformed on social issues, and predatory on foreign policy ones.

-- _______________________________________________ Find what you are looking for with the Lycos Yellow Pages http://r.lycos.com/r/yp_emailfooter/http://yellowpages.lycos.com/default.asp?SRC=lycos10