[lbo-talk] Chrismukkah & Jewsmas (already thinking about post-Xmas sales)

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Dec 26 12:19:07 PST 2004

At 12:02 PM 12/26/2004, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>>>After I toasted "the memory of Sir Isaac Newton, and of all the giants
>>>on whose shoulders he stood" as instructed by James Farmelant
>>><http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20041220/029318.html>,
>>>I received the following spam:

>>>From: octavio chapman <waldon at spankthedonkey.com>
>>>Subject: RE: Our church will ordain anyone who asks
>>
>>Just meant that I'm glad you weren't snowed in and without power.
>>
>>kelley
>
>Did lose power for several hours the first day it snowed a lot, but it's
>been OK since then (people who lost power longer than I did sometimes also
>had their water pipes frozen).
>
>I managed to shovel some snow to clear the steps to the front porch, but
>then it snowed some more. :-0

:) My most memorable winter, we had three snowstorms: 28 inches, 36 inches
and 48 inches. That particular year, I had snow piled high in the backyard all the way through the summer. I remember sitting on the back deck, prepping to teach a summer course, catching some rays and sipping a cold beer I'd stuck in the snowbank -- in June!

Glad you didn't have to deal with broken water pipes.

>Normally, I have my partner do the shoveling, but he and his parents went
>to Florida to visit his younger brother and his wife's home in Boca
>Raton. My partner got stuck in Charlotte for a night because his plane
>sat on the Columbus airport for two hours after he boarded.
>
>I told him and his parents not to go, because, before they actually went
>down to Florida, it came out that they were NOT invited to his
>sister-in-law/their daughter-in-law's parents' home. Naturally, _that_
>caused much turmoil, especially in his mother's mind. She was UPSET. But
>they went anyhow.

Sounds like a typical Christmas-time family drama!

>I blame capitalism, which domesticated Christmas and made it a family
>affair (cf.
><http://montages.blogspot.com/2004/12/class-struggle-at-christmas.html>),
>liable to cause angst and anxiety.

We watched It's a Wonderful Life last night. As I was watching, I was racking my brain trying to remember a political economic analysis of the film--or maybe it was of Frank Capra's movies in general. Has anyone read such a piece? I think it was on the 'net--an essay about how the film pits small (good) capital against big (bad) capital. Well, actually, now that I think about it, maybe it was an essay in Telos, maybe by Paul Piconne? Anyone know? Pugliese?

and geez, Michael, I thought my story about making my own wedding cake and the wasband catering our reception was a hoot. You got me beat in that department. I'm getting a chuckle, imagining you moving back and forth in the roles of minister and groom!

"We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling