[lbo-talk] Why Progressives Must Embrace the Ukrainian Pro-Democracy Movement By Stephen Zunes

Lance Murdoch lancemurdoch at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 08:43:12 PST 2004

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 12:26:44 -0700, Michael Pugliese <michael098762001 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> A second poll, by the Center for Social Monitoring, gave him an even wider
> lead -- putting his share of the vote at 58.1 percent and Yanukovich's at
> 38.4 percent.

A Google search for Center for Social Monitoring turns up very little, e.g. they are a group almost no one has heard of. Most of what comes up shows their obviously objective opinion that Yuschenko won the election in a big way.

The others show that the American CSM (based out of Virginia - I wonder why numbers from Russian pollsters aren't listed by Reuters?) also has done polls saying Ukrainians increasingly want to join NATO. CSM representatives also have had conferences with agencies like USAID, in order so that the US can help democracy in Ukraine, perhaps in the same manner that Dan Mitrione was helping democracy in Uruguay.