[lbo-talk] Curse of liberalism

amadeus amadeus amadeus482000 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 27 12:11:26 PST 2004

Chuck0 wrote:
> I expect that the Democratic Party will remain a
> marginal political
> force for decades to come, if it doesn't die out
> completely. The
> information in this analysis points to the fact that
> the Republicans are
> better revolutionaries and electoral activists than
> liberals and
> progressives. The Democrats are still operating as
> if it were 1960,
> where you raise money to fuel your political
> machine. The old paradigm
> of your supporters throwing money at a party stuck
> in the old paradigm
> doesn't work. Look at the failure of the AFL-CIO to
> accomplish anything
> for the Democrats. The Republicans are better
> grassroots organizers than
> the so-called "organizers" in the biggest union.

Nice post, Chuck. I would go even further and say that the bankruptcy of the Democratic Party, as well as (mostly feigned) ideological splits might even lead to a reallignment in which the Democratic Party is, as you intimate, dissolved and a third party will take its place as a major party. Whether this party would be an existing third party or some entity hitherto unknown is another question. It's doubtful, though, that the oldest continual political party in the United States could withstand another internal politcal reallignment-- it's like an old piece of silly putty that's been stretched too many ways and smashed into too much 'family circus' ink. And it's fraught so much with corporate interests that I doubt they would be able to find their true ideological ass with both hands and a nightstick flashlight.