[lbo-talk] Re: Conservative STudents Target Liberal Profs

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Dec 27 21:38:47 PST 2004

Daniel G. Skinner wrote:
> As you can imagine I am not overly confident that stating this on an open email system is the best for my career- which is why I have avoided naming names except for those who, like Oneida, have the attitude of "bring em on". However, I am not one to sit idly by and watch injustices being perpetuated as “equality”. FYI, Oneida and I are presenting a round table discussion on this very issue at the American Political Science conference in DC next December. I am also in the works of submitting this and other experiences of junior (read precarious) faculty for the "Iraq War Culture" issued by Bad Subjects. One of the main components of the ABR and the Republican tactics at METRO has been to isolate anti-war professors in this witch hunt. I do not think that the real momentum for the ABR that began after the Iraq war started is a coincidence. If anyone has any relevant information- even how to piece such a work together or would like to review it and make suggestions if/when p
os!
> sible I would be greatly appreciative.
>
> To answer some questions:
> I have not had the pleasure of working with the RMPN on this issue but have enjoyed some of the events they host. I rely on my advisor Alan Gilbert [Marx’s Politics, Democratic Individuality etc] for moral support and on several affinity groups. I was reluctant to tell the department chair about this incident and would not have if it were not for the encouragement of Oneida. But there is a strange power-play there too that I am aware of. I must admit that I have received nothing but kind words and moral support from the department chair. Of course when these emails make the rounds I suppose that the need for yet 'another' section of Introduction to American National Government will disappear, and the need for faculty to teach it will follow (I can hear it now, ‘laws of supply/demand after all, it was a decision out of our hands’).

While I'm not associated with any campus, I've battled with the right wing many times over the years when they've attacked libraries and librarians. I became an activist in the mid-80s because the right wing was trying to defund gay and lesbian campus groups. I'm interested in working on this issue and I'm currently working on two multi-campus organizing projects.

I've heard similar stories about right wing students harassing lefty professors at colleges in the Kansas City area. I suspect this will increase as the right wing gets cocky and rank and file conservatives take all of that David Horowitz, Rush Limbaugh, and similar ilk seriously.

I have every intention to fight these motherfuckers with my bare knuckles. Of course, the best strategy isn't always the most direct one. If people have suggestions about strategy and tactics, please e-mail me offlist.

Chuck Infoshop.org