[lbo-talk] (no subject)

Jonathan Nitzan nitzan at yorku.ca
Tue Dec 28 11:23:10 PST 2004

Good question.

I don't know whether understanding capital enhances or undermines the "overthrowing" of capitalism. I do know, though, that capitalism is the system of capital. So it seems to me that in order to answer your question we would first need to understand what capital is. That, in any event, was the task to which Marx devoted his entire life. Unfortunately, his value theory of accumulation turned out to be logically problematic and empirically impossible. We can stick to his logic, but then what exactly are we "overthrowing"?

Jonathan