[lbo-talk] New Imperialism or New Capitalism?

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Tue Dec 28 08:41:23 PST 2004

But Sweezy got it _all_ right, if you actually give a full and fair reading to his perspective. His theory of capital predicts that the system becomes increasingly financial, thanks to chronic overaccumulation, which is merely the numerical/financial expression of social relationships. Capital is too successful to permit its own perfect operation. And this theory also predicts that the "new economy" you pretend nobody foresaw was a temporary fix from the start.

Personally, I also find your presentation of Veblen to be radical inadequate.

Veblen and Sweezy retain immense explanatory power for the present day. Why do you deny this?