[lbo-talk] Missing the Marx

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 28 09:38:06 PST 2004

Carrol is right. Marx is saying from the point of view of justice, everything is square with the exchange of wages for labor power. That gives the worker no claim to the product of labor. There is exploitation, but it si not based on unequal exchange. The worker is not entitled to the SV he produces merely because he produces it. In fact, value doesn't really exist until it is realized, so if there any entitlement these show up in the sphere of circulation. Of course there is explaoitation, but what is wrong with it is something else.

Marx is crystal clear and absolutely unambiguous about what it is. It is the deprivation of freeom that goes into conditions of production under wage labor: the worker is coerced because he lacks means of production and so must work for the capitalist class; he is dominated in the process of production, where the factory system is a sort of enslavement by the hour, and he is alienated multiply but most crucially from, himself, so he cannot determine he own activity and enjoy what Marx calld "real freedom." As for justice and fairness, Marx is transpaarent (whough in my view mistaken) that justice is relative to the mode of production. Hence Carrol's correct interpretation.

This is a very short statement of the argument of my What's Wrong With Exploitation. Nous 1995. I can't believe it's been a decade since I wrote that.

jks