[lbo-talk] Missing the Marx

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 28 11:28:33 PST 2004

It's also debateable whether Marx rejected all moral talk. Richard Miller has an impressive argument in his book Analyzing Marx that he did. I think this is wrong, and Peffer exolains why in his Marx, Morality, and Social Justice. But talk of morality in general is different from talk of justice, fairness, and rights. Utilitarians, fir example, happly talk about morality but think that justice talk is wholly derivative at best. Bentham called it "nonsense on stilts." Marx was not a utilitarian, but he shared Bentham's view of justice. Jeremy Walsron even has a book collecting Bentham's and Marx's attacks on justice along with a good intro essay called "Nonsense On Stilts."