[lbo-talk] Reich on sex & religion

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Tue Dec 28 14:21:09 PST 2004

Actually, the summary of Reich from which this thread has spun, does not do credit to Reich's observations/argument. Reich does not argue that religion is ONLY mischannelled sexuality. I won't pretend to sum up a man's life work in a few sentences. I read pretty much everything he wrote, and I found quite a lot of it to be very valuable.

One of his central arguments was that if you can control someone's sexuality (by whatever means) you can basically control that person: through a reaction formation, the human energy that is dammed up in the process of sexual repression becomes invested in maintaining the power that mandates that repression in its familial/patriarchical form and, by extension, in the state. Organized religion plays a more complex part in this process -- as it is also able to produce a hysterical conversion of this energy into something akin to orgasmic release -- through physical pain and self-mortification.

Having said that, Reich was subject to all the limitations of a materialist world-view, which you touched upon below. Still, I would highly recommend his writings for those who want to understand the chemistry of fundamentalist totalitarianism and its appeal to the masses that it seeks to enslave. His basic writings include

The Mass Psychology of Fascism The Function of the Orgasm Character Analysis

His critique of Freud's "death instinct" is also very good.

Here's a pretty fair bio:

http://www.orgonomy.org/wr/reich_bio_01.html

Joanna