[lbo-talk] How Nonprofit Careerism Derailed the "Revolution"

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Tue Dec 28 14:36:35 PST 2004

Michael Pugliese wrote:

> I thought this Counterpunch piece
> http://www.counterpunch.org/donnelly12272004.html
> by someone named Michael Donnelly was a little harsh but
> thought-provoking and probably correct. Donnelly argues that because
> privileged college graduates can now have reasonably well-paying
> careers in the nonprofit sector the American left has lost much of
> its momentum and power, given that the biggest nonprofits seldom do
> more than greenwash corporations or shill for the Democratic party.

The Roe vs Wade stuff was very wrong. The fact that middle/upper class women could get legal abortions didn't matter that much because these women could always get abortions. What really mattered was that working class women could get abortions -- which would give these women more power and freedom.

The stuff about a potential revolutionary vanguard being derailed to the nonprofits, I'm also not sure about. First of all, most of the salaries he mentions are ludicruously low. I mean they're salaries; they're not the kind of salaries you "sell out" for. The sort of privileged, well-educated people that take these jobs could make as much and more doing all kinds of stuff that would not involve corporate slavery. In addition to which, what kind of real radical could comfort themselves about not "giving up" by working in these nonprofits????

No. The revolution was killed by the usual means: an all-out attack on the working class, racism (let's put all the black people in jail on drug charges), an-all out attack on education, an all out attack on unions, and an intensification of work that didn't leave much room for any kind of organizing or even thought.

Joanna