[lbo-talk] real world labels include 'zionism' and 'zionist'

Jon Johanning zenner41 at mac.com
Wed Dec 29 07:23:23 PST 2004

On Dec 29, 2004, at 2:29 AM, joanna bujes wrote:

> Yes, I actually heard Michael L. in person argue that the Zionists
> moving into Palestine were like blacks moving into a white
> neighborhood.
>
> No. Not by a long shot. Not historically, not metaphornically, not in
> any damned way.

Well, if one takes a point of view in which one is very strongly identified with the Jewish people, *and* has a very strong feeling that Jews are eternally persecuted by non-Jews and therefore need a sanctuary in a corner of the world that they can call their own, *and* strongly believes that Palestine is the only suitable place for this sanctuary because it's where the Jewish people started, then Lerner's view begins to make some sort of sense. But unfortunately it's very hard for most of us who are not in that community to appreciate this view of the world, especially for those who happened to be living in that corner of the world when the Zionists showed up. I think that's where the tragedy of the present Palestinian-Jewish relationship started.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________ When I was a little boy, I had but a little wit, 'Tis a long time ago, and I have no more yet; Nor ever ever shall, until that I die, For the longer I live the more fool am I. -- Wit and Mirth, an Antidote against Melancholy (1684)