[lbo-talk] How Nonprofit Careerism Derailed the "Revolution"

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Dec 29 10:28:23 PST 2004

At 12:10 PM 12/29/2004, Chuck0 wrote:
>Jon Johanning wrote:
>
>>The group I worked with in the '70s, while based in a large city, tried
>>to answer such questions by setting up communal houses, so that living
>>expenses could be cut, and also shared other communal facilities, such as
>>a car, which was operated as a sort of private rent-a-car. The motivation
>>for setting up this arrangement was that people became dissatisfied with
>>the usual movement organization format of the '60s, with a large number
>>of inactive but relatively monied contributers who supported a small
>>group of full-time activists with occasional checks. Better a bunch of
>>somewhat less than full-time activists who supported themselves.
>
>That's a good point. Setting up co-op houses is one good way to support
>each other and not throw money at greedy capitalists (even the small time
>variety). I'm hoping to set up a cooperative house with other activists in
>central Kansas City at some point in 2005 or 2006. We already have a
>situation where a bunch of our activists have almost taken over a small
>apartment building, which I call the "anarchist soccer house."
>
>Chuck

check out the Common Place Landtrust in Truxton, NY! It was built by Dave Yarrow and Hank Strunk in the late 70s. It's the home of Andy uh uh uh... Andy dang can't remember his last name.. uh Andy Mager, that's it. Andy is well-known because he was jailed for refusing to pay that portion of federal taxes that went to the military. Very cook guys, all of 'em.

Kelley

"We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling