[lbo-talk] Apparently this did not come from The Onion

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed Dec 29 13:47:06 PST 2004

amadeus amadeus wrote:

> It's funny, as a regular reader of the Onion, to
> realize how many 'real' news headlines in the major US
> media seem like silly jokes these days.
> At any rate, I'm sure Bruce Lakefield and the other
> executives will gladly volunteer a day or two's work
> for free, taken pro rata from their salaries. I've got
> Lakefield alone at $425,000 a year, so, that's uh,
> let's see, um.... roughly the equivalent of 40 bag
> checkers?

The Onion, while still pretty funny, has really gone down the route of Saturday Night Live. Its glory years lie behind it. The Onion these days is more like Humor Megacorp than it is the college town student newspaper that was publishing headlines like "Governor Proclaims November Masturbation Month."

Frankly, I think Drudge Report can't be beat these days for unintentional humor. For several days this weekeend Drudge was running a headline that referred to the disaster this weekend as the "Christmas tsunami" when it had in fact happened on December 26th.

Then there is Drudge's grating desire to be more famous and respected. Look at one of the headlines on his website right now:

"'DRUDGE' TOPS 'BUSH', 'CNN', 'EMINEM' IN '04 LYCOS SEARCH..."

Give him a few more months and his ego, er, popularity will be bigger than Jesus.

I SURFED DEATH WAVE...

Chuck