[lbo-talk] Missing the Marx

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 29 20:14:25 PST 2004

Everybody chill. There is nothing "obvious" about anything in Marxism. Marx' attitude towards morality is "obviously" complex. Officially he classes it with ideology as opposed to science. He is contemptuous of merely moral appeals. His official position is at best relativist. In practice he is loaded with moral language. And the project makes no sense unless you think that exploitation and oppression are wrong. Though Richard Miller has argued manfully that you can have Marx without morality and without merely reducing the conflict to opposing interests, as Charles suggests. Allen Wood kind of agrees with this view too. Or did, I have not read the new edition of his book. So, anyone starting any sentence with "Obviously Marxism is/says/means . . ." whatever you fill the blank you will be wrong. Even if your interpretation is right it will not be _obviously_ right. Except for my interpretations of course. ;->

name=winmail.dat