[lbo-talk] [Fwd: [nowar_australia] Diego Garcia -- [tsunami was in progress days before?]

Leigh Meyers leigh_m at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 30 08:50:56 PST 2004

Diego Garcia is wired... That's also where all the communications intercepts are done on information that passes through the telecom cables under the ocean. Internet, too...

Adbusters had a great picture of the "antenna farm" in one issue last year.

Those seabottom anti-sub sensors *are* low frequency audio devices... It's concievable someone was right on top of it.

..."while it was in progress" is probably an adequate description.

I think someone mentioned in the news that the wavefront was 400/Kmh, that doesn't leave a whole lot of time... East Africa had *some* warning, but ya' know, there really

isn't a highly developed communication infrastructure on that part of the globe.

*Personally*, I thought "tsunami" after I saw this piece in my SMH newsletter on Xmas day:

Huge quake off Tasmanian coast December 25, 2004 http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Huge-quake-off-Tasmanian-coast/2004/12/24/1103825060819.html?oneclick=true

Australian scientists working on remote Macquarie Island in the sub-Antarctic were totally unaware of the biggest earthquake in the world for years happening nearby on Friday, the Australian Antarctic Division (AAD) said.

The quake measured 8.1 on the Richter Scale and was the biggest in the world in almost four years, according to Geoscience Australia's seismologists.

Its epicentre was 400km off Macquarie Island and 800km off the coast of Tasmania.

Geoscience Australia said the quake hit an area known as ..... <>

----- Original Message ----- From: Doug Henwood To: lbo-talk Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2004 7:52 AM Subject: [lbo-talk] [Fwd: [nowar_australia] Diego Garcia -- did US military/CIA know tsunami was in progress?]

[This is from an old friend who spent many years as a US government seismologist. He's now in self-imposed exile in Australia.]