[lbo-talk] [Fwd: Not One Damn Dime Day - Jan 20, 2005]

Leigh Meyers leigh_m at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 30 11:01:55 PST 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: mdawson at pdx.edu To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2004 10:10 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] [Fwd: Not One Damn Dime Day - Jan 20, 2005]

Yep, it's "cool." That's all it is, though. It's about as effective as praying to Jahweh, though.

Quoting Leigh Meyers <leigh_m at sbcglobal.net>:

> I always thought it was very cool that Adbusters
> locks down their sales website for Buy Nothing Day.
> No subscriptions, no "blackspot" sneakers... spoofcards.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You said in another thread:

From: Michael Dawson To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 3:44 PM Subject: RE: [lbo-talk] New Imperialism or New Capitalism? <> "In the real world, meanwhile, exploitation is a real fact caused by real power relations. Most people have nothing to sell but their labor-power. <>

Putting the results of your labor on the line is one way you can affect those real world power relations, that's what strikes and boycotts are about. Co-ops are another example.

It's fun... and effective ( despite what you might think )"and if 50 people a day walked in, sang a bar of "alices restaurant" and walked out?

They'd think it was a movement." (sorry, arlo...)

We all need to *consciously* vote with our labor, and our "filthy" lucre whenever we can.

Once a year is a good place to start. It's good practice, if that's all you can do. (...from each according to blahblah)

Some of us can do more.

I like to watch the "pedantry" that goes with LBO sometimes, quoting Marx like he's some god... (Jeez citations! somebody's making a living at this!) and the deep theoretical constructs about what he meant when he said this, that, or the other thing.

IMHO, that is *really* effective... [snicker into cuff]

But in all my years, I never figured out what it was effective at.

Choose your terminology with care, Comrade, lest you alienate.

Leigh Meyers leigh_m at sbcglobal.net

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.299 / Virus Database: 265.6.6 - Release Date: 12/28/2004