[lbo-talk] Amartya Sen and Wolfensohn on disability

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Thu Dec 30 11:09:15 PST 2004

To add more -- I had a conversation with a disabled person employed by the World Bank to attend the UN meetings on a human rights treaty for disabled persons in New York and pointed out to her that she just might be being used by the Bank. She was quick to reply that she had been able to get some things accomplished in her position there. She did not know who Joseph Stiglitz is!! This is, unfortunately, what we are dealing with.

The real problem is that there is very little disability "grassroots" organization in the poor nations to protest their condition and to agitate for betterment of their condition. So naive Americans take positions with unclean organizations to try to accomplish what they can. They often have no idea of the record of the IMF or the World Bank. Marta