[lbo-talk] The Ontology of Two Chairs (was Reich on sex & religion)

Jon Johanning zenner41 at mac.com
Thu Dec 30 11:55:25 PST 2004

On Dec 30, 2004, at 12:19 PM, Manjur Karim wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Right on.  Actually if Jon argues that numbers (two chairs) somehow
> have intrinsic authenticity outside human practice, experience, and
> temporality, Richard Rorty is not on his side either.

I'm arguing no such thing. As I say in my contemporaneous posting in reply to Chris, the ontology of chairs (we certainly don't know what "chairs in themselves" -- or anything else "in itself" -- is) has nothing to with what I was arguing. You guys are off on your own wild goose chase there, and I don't have time at the moment to go with you. God-speed!

As for numbers, are you claiming that the truths of mathematics are related somehow to human practice, experience, and temporality? I'd like to see a defense of that position. I'd also like to see where Rorty takes that position.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________ A sympathetic Scot summed it all up very neatly in the remark, 'You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk-dancing.' -- Sir Arnold Bax