[lbo-talk] Re: one day "shopping" boycott

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Thu Dec 30 14:00:54 PST 2004

> How does a "good" marxist (you?) measure effectiveness, anyway?
>
> In relation to what?
>
> I'm sure ya 'all will tell me what YOU think is effective action.
> I'm waiting eagerly... Tell me.

Sure thing. Effectiveness is measured by the number of new people that learn the information they need to take action to make the world better; by the number of new people that try to take such action on a regular basis; and by the degree to which their action actually improves, or promises to improve, unjust situations.

Indirectness and gestures are less desirable than direct attacks and direct attempts to stop or change offending institutions. One-shot actions are vastly inferior to sustained ones, other things being equal. Promotional of reason and truth are preferable to conveyance of childishness and delusion.