[lbo-talk] [Fwd: [nowar_australia] Diego Garcia -- did US military/CIAknow tsunami was in progress?]

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 30 14:58:20 PST 2004

Jordan:

Let's try to keep some perspective here ...

=====

Agreed.

The US Navy's SOSUS forms the foundation (still in proprietary hands unfortunately) of a planet spanning, ocean event monitoring network.

Despite its obvious usefulness for situations just like this - at least in the early stages of a situation - I'll concede that failures of imagination, will, organization and, given the speed of the wavefront, a tragic lack of time to consider the full implication of what was being detected and alert the vulnerable were most likely major factors contributing to data not being relayed across the region.

But there's less and less excuse for this sort of costly sloppiness, even with mitigating factors. What's the point of being able to monitor the globe and telecommunicate with any point on the grid if all this glittering tech isn't put to efficient use minimizing loss of life?

But then again, our technological capabilities very often exceed our organizational skills.

.d.