[lbo-talk] Re: one day "shopping" boycott

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 30 17:35:10 PST 2004

>In other words, they themselves are more package than product. [MD]

I agree that they are more package than substance and it certainly isn't worth of replication. I disagree that it is, in the end, harmful. [JT]

>And they are also far less theoretically advanced than I suspect they
>think they are. [MD]

A trend here and everywhere else on the planet. I can't fault them too much for displaying the same hubris as much of society. Write to them and ask them how they stand on issues or how they think about whatever theoretical shortcomings you believe they have. Maybe you'll teach them something and maybe you'll learn something in the process. If it bothers you that they exist take the time to find out more about them. It may change your mind. [JT]

>What are we doing calling ourselves "consumers" in the first
>place? Is _advertising_ or _capitalism_ the problem? The first question
>has never occurred to them, even though they use people's supposed embrace
>of the "consumer" role as fuel for their thinly-disguised "alternative"
>snobbery. The second question suggests that "Adbusting" is rather like
>scratching the surface. [MD]

They are very much aware of both issues you raise here and have decided to attack the problem in a manner different than you would. Or I would for that matter. I also think they are aware that they are superficial and that they are consciously so. [JT]

>How many potential converts have looked at this publication and dropped it
>with nausea? How much better could the decent energies Adbusters corrals
>and directs be spent? Some and much, IMHO.
>
>Michael Dawson

I'd be willing to bet the number is zero. We will never know for certain so we just have to go with our gut feelings on this. We disagree. As far as directing their energy it is theirs to direct. So long as they do not actively undermine a substantially more worthwhile project it is theirs to direct as they wish. How can you or I say how they should "best" expend it? I have used my pets as an example to demonstrate the fruitlessness of this question in the past. All the money I spend on vet bills and cat food and other products like leashes and crates would go some ways towards feeding and clothing someone. Am I wasting my energy and resources? Should my cats be destroyed? Does it matter that some are therapy pets that travel to nursing homes and prisons? Should it matter? [JT] ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the other hand, the magazine had a slickness that was very off-putting and that seemed to spring from the same source as the "despised" advertising. I sometimes had the creepy feeling that Adbuster staff were almost advertising their skills as cutting edge advertisers and trend-setters.

It was too bad because I also hated the printed-in-the-basement look of all lefty mags and their utter disregard for aesthetics (which went along with their puritanical, pleasure-hating selves)....so I was hoping Adbusters would offer an alternative. Not.

Joanna ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have suspected that some of the "Adbusters team" are cultivating an image they wish to sell to a corporate sponsor down the road but I have zero evidence to back up that feeling. Maybe I'm just a suspicious person or maybe I would be tempted to do the same in their position. It is part of what I dislike about them but only part. I disagree with them in their thinking that hyper-cool advertising can be used to counter other hyper-cool advertising. It doesn't work that way in my view but they think it does. As long as they are harmless who cares? There has to be a middle ground between the dullness of Z magazine and the flash of Adbusters but no one has found it yet that I have seen. [JT] --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I agree with a lot of this. But one thing I like about Adbusters is their understanding of the importance of design and aesthetics. It's a nice magazine to look at.

Seth

Their magazine and many others violate most of the rules for good design that I learned at university. It is a layout that is growing in popularity but I still find it to be bad design as do most magazines creative directors. It may reinforce short attention spans but I obviously don't know that for a fact. It is nice that they appreciate that design is an important part of the package but when it becomes as important as content it is time to rethink a few things.

John Thornton

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.296 / Virus Database: 265.6.6 - Release Date: 12/28/2004

--- avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean. Virus Database (VPS): 0453-0, 12/27/2004 Tested on: 12/30/2004 7:35:25 PM avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2004 ALWIL Software. http://www.avast.com