[lbo-talk] Imperialism & Multinational Capitalists Re: WWP/N. Korea

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Feb 1 08:04:22 PST 2004

dredmond at efn.org:

>Quoting Lance Murdoch <lbotalk at lancemurdoch.org>:
>
>>In a just world, white liberal yuppies would have to go to North
>>Korea, Cuba, Guatemala, Colombia, Palestine and so forth and get
>>down on their knees and beg the workers there for forgiveness for
>>what they and their government have been doing to them.
>
>First of all, professional-class workers don't own and operate the
>Fortune 500 and certainly don't set the priorities of the System.
>Second of all, the System isn't the US Government -- it's the
>world-market of capital, a.k.a. the total system, a.k.a.
>multinational capitalism. It's a faceless, bodiless set of social
>abstractions, very difficult to grapple with, analyze or combat,
>despite its horrific effects on human beings.

***** The votes of the U.N. General Assembly on the "necessity to lift the blockade against Cuba"

For Against Countries against

the embargo lifting

1992 59 2 USA, Israel

1993 88 4 USA, Israel,

Albania, Paraguay

1994 101 2 USA, Israel

1995 117 3 USA, Israel,

Uzbekistan

1996 138 3 USA, Israel,

Uzbekistan

1997 143 3 USA, Israel,

Uzbekistan

1998 157 2 USA, Israel

1999 155 2 USA, Israel

2000 167 3 USA, Israel,

Marshall Islands

2001 167 3 USA, Israel,

Marshall Islands

2002 173 3 USA, Israel,

Marshall Islands

(Rémy Herrera, " The Effects of the US 'Embargo' Against Cuba," <http://www.alternatives.ca/article876.html>) *****

***** The UN General Assembly voted by an overwhelming majority this November 4 to end the economic, commercial and financial blockade imposed on Cuba by the United States.

A resolution adopted here in that respect obtained the record total of 179 votes in favor, just the United States, Israel and the Marshall Islands against, and only two abstentions.

("179 Countries Vote against the Blockade of Cuba in the UN," Granma International, November 05, 2003, <http://www.globalexchange.org/countries/cuba/uscuba/1269.html>) *****

On the question of Israel and Palestinians, Washington and Tel Aviv get regularly reduced to a mighty alliance with Tuvalu, Nauru, the Marshall Islands, and the Federated States of Micronesia (and variations thereof).

I don't know about Colombia, Guatemala, and North Korea, but as far as Cuba and Palestine are concerned, the UN GA voting records reveal that the majority of the world's power elite, backed by faceless multinational capitalists, are opposed to the policy of fanatical US imperialists, year after year.

Multinational capitalists, however, do continue to pour capital into the USA -- despite, not because of, their own positions on the US blockade of Cuba and US support for the Israeli occupation -- shoring up the last empire living on borrowed time. It must be that the overall service of the fanatical US imperialists is so great that multinational capitalists' minor disagreements with them do not stand in the way of maintaining a mutually profitable business relationship.

American workers are not to blame for this sorry state of affairs, but it is also true that their weakness has made it possible, from which they, too, suffer, whether or not they are aware of it. -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>