[lbo-talk] Re: theory of porn?

Jeet Heer jeet at sturdynet.com
Sun Feb 1 09:24:58 PST 2004

Doug wrote:

> I think I've mentioned the theory of my late friend John Liscio
> before: with no man on the screen, male viewers don't have to suffer
> the anxiety that they're getting excited by the presence of another
> man.
>
> Doug

Interestingly enough, there is a parallel here in Japan: over there, there is a special genre of comic books (manga) devoted to homosexual love stories between 2 men, often of a Romeo and Juliet (or Julian) variety: the lovers want to be together but are torn apart by society. According to manga-experts, the biggest audience for these gay male love stories are heterosexual women, often housewives. In Norht America as well, there is a genre of gay stories (usually involving pop culture heroes like Captain Kirk and Dr. Spock) which is both read by and written by hetero women.