[lbo-talk] Limits of Human Knowledge

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Feb 1 14:48:15 PST 2004

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 13:58:37 -0800 (PST) andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> writes:

> Well, W thought it was a tautology that put paid to
> the entire history of philosophy. To vary the
> reference with a nother book that W would probably
> have also thought was stupid (Hume's Enquiry) If it's
> not about relations of ideas or matter of fact, into
> the fire with it. And Frank Ramsey capped W's remark,
> commenting on W's allusive gestures to "the mystical,"
> tos how what cannot be said, by stating that "If you
> can't say it you can't say it, and you can't whistle
> it either." Which really leaves us with very little to
> talk about. Howza weather by you? It's cold here in
> Shytown.

Of Wittgenstein's attitude in the Tractatus, Otto Neurath wrote:

"The conclusion of the Tractatus, 'whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent,' is at least grammatically misleading. It sounds as if there were a 'something' of which we could not speak. We should rather say, 'If one really wishes to avoid the metaphysical attitude entirely, then one will "be silent," but not " about something." (From his essay "Sociology and Physicalism". In *Logical Positivism*, edited by A. J. Ayer. Glencoe, IL).

> No wonder W, having finished the Tractatus,
> temporarily gave up philosophy to be an elementary
> school teacher in Austria. He was evidentally very bad
> at it. Children can be cruel and unforgiving towards
> the terminally wierd.

Well, as I recall part of his difficulties as a school master was that he was a bit too liberal in his use of the cane which was too much even for the local peasants to put up with. He also had a hard time because he had more expansive ideas of the sort of education that he wanted to impart to his pupils than was acceptable to their parents or the powers that be in the village in which he was teaching.