[lbo-talk] Re: Bush's Re-Election Chances: Military Dictatorship

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Feb 2 12:52:08 PST 2004

Here's the first paragraph of the silly prediction:

***** Friends, the Republic is in real danger. It is not the UN black helicopters that threaten it, but elements of the United States officer corps. That is, if their thinking is in any way exemplified by Tommy Franks. Franks has speculated that in the wake of a major WMD attack, the US will scrap its constitution and adopt a military government. I can't imagine a more fascist, irresponsible thing for him to say. (I am not saying he advocates such a step. I am saying that for such a high-ranking former officer to even speak of this matter is the most irresponsible thing I have ever seen. The responsible thing for him to have done was to urge planning for civilian government under such emergency conditions.)****

The trouble with convenient short forms (e.g., WMD) is that after a while no one pays attention to what they refer to. The key here lies in "Franks has speculated that in the wake of a MAJOR [emphasis added] WMD attack." That is, in the event of a nuclear attack on most u.s. cities, there would be a military dictatorship. Of course there would. That was assumed in a famous ABC movie back in the '70s, I forget its title now. There wouldn't be anyone else left to govern.

Frank is not saying anything significant.

Carrol